As a result of the security measures, some refunds may take longer to process. The IRS urges taxpayers to file electronically and choose direct deposit to get their tax refunds faster. You could be waiting up to eight weeks for your refund to be issued if you choose to file a paper return or find that you have to do so Why Is My Tax Refund Delayed? for any reason. A common cause of delayed tax return processing, leading to delayed refunds, is missing information on the return. “Failure to include basic information, such as the Social Security numbers of dependents, can significantly hold up a refund,” according to Lee E. Holland, CPA, CFP, and former IRS agent.
Taxpayers do not need to file an additional return nor tax amendment as this will not affect the rate at which the IRS processes returns and refunds. If your return is still processing, you can continue to check your status online once per day to see if it is updated by the IRS. Many taxpayers experienced slower than anticipated IRS tax refund processing speed https://quick-bookkeeping.net/ or time for their 2020 and 2021 Refunds which may continue into 2023 for your 2022 Return. Because of this, you may not have a tax refund status. See sample tax refund status messages you might see when you check your status on the IRS tool. One of the reasons your tax refund might be delayed is if the IRS is overwhelmed with a backlog of tax returns.
I Filed My 2022 Taxes. When Will I Get My Refund?
When you owe taxes and are paying by check, don’t forget to sign the check. You can have your refund deposited directly into your savings or checking account. Be sure to enter the correct routing and account numbers on your return. If you don’t include all the schedules, your return can’t be processed, and your refund will be delayed. The IRS will contact you if there are any issues with your return.
- Filing electronically requires that you use a tax software program, which can flag errors that may cause processing delays at the IRS.
- Get matched with a financial advisor who fits your unique criteria.
- Additional time commitments outside of class, including homework, will vary by student.
- Your web browser is no longer supported by Microsoft.
- For example, the IRS may have a question about your return.
- This is an optional tax refund-related loan from Pathward, N.A.; it is not your tax refund.
We are providing this information as a public service. We have tried to make it accurate as of the date below, but keep in mind that tax laws and processes change frequently. From this tool you can learn whether your return has been received yet or not, if it’s been approved, and if the refund has been sent yet. However, if you take out a tax refund advance, then you can get the money from your tax refund right away. There are different reasons why your tax refund may be taking longer than usual this year. The IRS has a “Where’s My Refund” tool that tax filers can use to track the status of any money they’re owed.
Check your federal tax refund status.
If you submitted your return electronically, please allow up to a week for your information to be entered into our system. Our expert reviewers review our articles and recommend changes to ensure we are upholding our high standards for accuracy and professionalism. Jennifer Schell is a professional writer focused on demystifying annuities and other financial topics including banking, financial advising and insurance. She is proud to be a member of the National Association for Fixed Annuities as well as the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors .
- Whether filed electronically or on paper, all returns are opened and processed by the IRS in the order they are received, so the earlier you file your taxes, the earlier you’ll receive a refund.
- If you’re expecting a tax refund and want it quickly, file electronically – instead of using a paper return.
- As required by the new California Consumer Privacy Act , you may record your preference to view or remove your personal information by completing the form below.
- The Ascent is a Motley Fool service that rates and reviews essential products for your everyday money matters.
The IRS can’t intervene if your refund goes into someone else’s bank account. You’ll have to take the issue up with the bank that received the deposit. Several issues can hold up your refund, but some problems are more common than others. Here are some of the most common causes of a tax refund delay. Your tax return may also be put on hold if the Social Security Administration has not yet received your Form W-2 from your employer. In these cases, the IRS keeps checking for updated wage information, so your tax return may be automatically released once the IRS gets that information.